This super easy recipe for cabbage in bechamel sauce is one I grew up with and it is a great way to get your daily dose of cabbage. A classic Bechamel sauce is made with butter, refined white flour and full fat milk. Rich, soothing, yummy – and pretty unhealthy.
This new (and in my opinion much improved) version relies on silken tofu and light, unsweetened almond milk as the base. To give it body I add nutritional yeast, salt and pepper, and of course the classic Bechamel spice: nutmeg.
In order to get the sauce completely smooth you need to use silken tofu. It doesn’t matter if you use the soft or firm variety as long as it is silken. Silken tofu has a custard-like texture so is much easier to blend into a completely smooth sauce.
As for the cabbage I prefer to use heart cabbage for its milder flavor and finer texture but regular white cabbage works perfectly well.
As a side dish, this Cabbage In Bechamel Sauce works with anything from veggie burgers to lentil stews and also goes beautifully with a piece of poached or grilled salmon.
This cabbage dish goes very well with these Aubergine Meatballs.
Cabbage In Bechamel Sauce
- A blender or immersion blender is needed to get the sauce completely smooth.
- 100 grams silken tofu
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 head of heart cabbage or regular white cabbage
- Blend all the ingredients for the sauce together and set aside.
- Peel off and discard the outermost leaves of the cabbage and then slice the cabbage in half lengthwise. Then slice each half lengthwise once more so you end up with four pieces. Cut off the hard stem part of each quarter and then chop the cabbage (or slice it if you prefer). Set aside while you boil some water.
- Bring a pot of lightly salted water to a boil and add the chopped cabbage. Boil the cabbage for about a minute or until the leaves wilt a little but still retain some texture. Drain well and mix the hot cabbage with the sauce and serve immediately.