A Mexican feast without the meat? But of course! A Mexican tofu taco filling does the trick.
This intensely flavored tofu taco filling will satisfy even the most die hard taco lovers.
Serve the with all your favorite taco fillers and Mexican side dishes. And don’t forget the tacos!
Mexican Tofu Taco Filling
- 250 grams firm tofu broken into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder * or 2 fresh garlic cloves
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- ½ teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- Mix all the dried herbs and spices, the nutritional yeast and the sesame seeds in a small bowl and set aside. * If using fresh garlic mix it with the liquid ingredients below.
- In another bowl mix the soy sauce, water, sesame oil and tomato paste and set aside.
- Heat a wok or frying pan over high heat and add the oil, then swirl to coat. Sauté the tofu in the oil until nicely browned, 5-8 minutes.
- Add the spices to the tofu and stir until nicely mixed. Lower the heat a bit before adding the liquid ingredients and stir to quickly mix it all together nicely.
- Keep sautéing a few minutes more until all the liquid has been absorbed and the tofu crisps up a little.
- Serve with the usual Mexican taco fillers, such as diced tomatoes and red onion, lettuce, Mexican spiced black beans, corn, avocado, and fresh coriander if you like. And don’t forget the tacos!