Almonds, dates, chocolate. What’s not to love! And when combined with some walnuts, zingy orange zest, and sweet vanilla you end up with perfect little mouthfuls I call Spiced Almond Bites.
These bites are perfect for casual entertaining or as a private treat alongside a nice cup of afternoon coffee.
Chocolate Covered Spiced Almond Bites
- 150 g whole raw almonds
- 5 Medjool dates pits removed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 handful walnuts
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon or ground ginger optional
- 100 g dark chocolate (I use 85% dark chocolate)
- In a food processor, grind the almonds to a course flour. Add the dates, vanilla, walnuts, cranberries, orange zest, and cinnamon/ginger if using and process well until you get a consistency that sticks together well when shaped into small bite sized balls. If the mass is too dry then add a few drops of water.
- Shape into small balls and set aside on a tray covered with parchment- or baking paper while you melt the chocolate.
- Melt the chocolate in a glass or aluminum bowl set over a pot of boiling water. Make sure the bowl doesn’t actually touch the water and that the water doesn’t get so hot that it sputters all over the place. Once the chocolate is completely melted (and while keeping it over the hot water) dip/roll each almond ball in the chocolate until completely covered. Place the balls back on the baking-paper covered tray and refrigerate until set.