These wok-flashed green beans are one of my favorite green bean recipes. It is quick yet full of flavor.
Adding a load of garlic and a pinch of chili flakes is a very flavorful way to spruce up basic green beans and even better: You can prepare this recipe in about ten minutes.
You can use fresh or frozen green beans for this recipe. If you opt for the frozen kind, there is no need to defrost the beans beforehand.
These wok-flashed green beans serve 2-4 people as a side dish. I say 2 to 4 because my husband and I will finish a plate of these beans all by ourselves, but we also eat a lot of vegetables. You may be less inclined but the beans are great in a salad the next day. So go ahead and make the full recipe, even if you think it might be a bit too much.
Wok-Flashed Green Beans
- Wok or large frying pan
- 300 grams fresh green beans washed and stem end trimmed
- 2 garlic cloves minces
- 1/4 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon water
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Heat a wok over medium high heat and add the oil. Swirl to coat before adding the green beans, then stir for a few seconds.
- Add the garlic and chili and stir-fry for a minute, then add about a tablespoon of water and keep stir-frying until the beans are tender but still have a bit of crunch. If they dry out then add a bit more water, but not too much as you want them to fry, not boil. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately.