A very simple dish that admittedly doesn’t look like much. But looks can be deceiving. Roasted cauliflower has none of the sharpness you are familiar with from the raw plant. Instead it greets you with mild and mellow smoothness, making roasted cauliflower a great way to sneak in more of those healthy cruciferous vegetables.
And what is mild and mellow if not the perfect base on which to build your flavors and take your cauliflower up a notch. To elevate this simple cauliflower dish I look to the classic Mediterranean flavors of olive oil, garlic, lemon and rosemary. Together with some nutritional yeast these simple ingredients give this roasted cauliflower dish a surprisingly deep and tangy flavor. If you are a cheese eater feel free to use Parmesan instead of the nutritional yeast but whichever way you go don’t skimp on the olive oil or the lemon juice.
This simple side dish goes very well with Aubergine Meatballs, for example, but also with a piece of grilled fish.
Roasted Cauliflower With Lemon, Garlic & Fresh Rosemary
- 1 head of cauliflower divided into florets
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced garlic
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- Finely chopped fresh rosemary to serve
- Heat the oven to 250º C (500º F).
- Mix the cauliflower florets with the olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, salt and pepper and place in an oven proof dish.
- Roast for about 15 minutes, then remove from the oven and sprinkle with the nutritional yeast. Stir to mix and transfer to a serving dish. Sprinkle with rosemary and serve.
Looking for even more ways to sneak cauliflower into your meals? Then check out my Cauliflower & Potato Mash or my Non-dairy Cheese. In both of those recipes the cauliflower adds health and a bit of depth without any of the added sharpness.