This Middle Eastern staple is more than just a serious party pleaser. It is also the perfect base for a creamy pasta sauce.
A lot of hummus recipes call for oil which is completely unnecessary, in my humble opinion. The version I present here is one I have kept with me since my days living in Egypt and I make it often.
The classic Middle Eastern party pleaser.
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup tahini (sesame paste)
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin optional
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cayenne pepper to serve optional
- Blend the chickpeas, lemon juice, tahini, garlic, and cumin, if using, with 4 tablespoons (1/4 cup) of water until smooth. Add more water as needed to make a smooth dip. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve sprinkled with cayenne pepper to taste.